Pumpkin milk bread
Time: 1.5 days
Yield: 1 med loaf
Bread flour: 100%
Pumpkin puree: 30%
Bread flour: 300g
Egg: 1 egg
Pumpkin puree: 90g
Butter: 57g, 4 tbsp
Egg wash: 1 egg, dash of milk
Make the sweet stiff starter (idea and ratios from @breadtopia)
• 20g mature starter
• 60g bread flour
• 27g water room temp
• 20g sugar
Your stuff starter should at least increase by 50% by morning (mine doubled, but as long as yours grows up 50%, you’re good to go)
Make tangzhong & let cool to room temp
• 106g milk
• 20g bread flour
1. Add milk and bread flour to shallow pan, mix together. Cook over low-medium heat, constantly stirring with whisk to ensure dough does not overcook. Tangzhong is ready when it looks like a slurry paste. When you run your whisk through the mixture, you should see lines from your whisk on the pan.
Mix your dough:
• 300g bread flour
• 50g sugar
• 6g salt
• 105g milk
• 1 egg room temp
• 95g stiff starter
• 95g tangzhong
• 57g butter (4 tbsp) room temp
1. Mix dry ingredients together in standing mixer. In a sep bowl, whisk milk, egg, pumpkin puree; set aside.
2. Break stiff starter into 4-5 pieces, add to dry ingredients and mix in standing mixer on speed 2. Add all of tangzhong roux and mix.
3. While standing mixer is on 2, add milk+egg+pumpkin mix - mix til shaggy dough starts to form. Add 1 tbsp butter at a time until all butter is incorporated.
4. Turn mixer on medium and mix for ~10-12 min. This dough takes longer to develop gluten bc of all the milk, butter, and sugar. Mix until windowpane forms when you stretch the dough.
5. Form dough into a ball, place in a lightly greased bowl, proof for 6-8 hrs (until roughly doubled in size). This depends on the temp of your dough so go off of appearance rather than time!
6. Once doubled, shape into buns or Hokkaido loaf. Proof at room temp for another 2-4 hrs (buns should grow puffier, ~30% increase)
7. In last 30 min of proofing, preheat oven to 350F and egg wash dough (1 egg and splash of milk). Bake for 35-40 min, or until internal temp is 190F.