Time: 1.5 hrs
Yield: 12 cookies
Buckwheat flour: 85g
AP flour: 57g
Sourdough discard: 30g
Tahini: 2 tbsp
Vegan butter, room temp: 113g, 1 stick
Granulated sugar: 38g
Brown sugar: 75g
Unsweetened coconut flakes: 1/4 cup
Vanilla extract: 4g, 1 tsp
Baking soda: 3g, 1/2 tsp
Chocolate chips: 1/2 cup
1. Whisk together buckwheat flour, AP flour, salt, baking soda. Set aside.
2. Cream vegan butter and sugars together. (Preferably in standing mixer, but you can do with handheld mixer, too.)
3. Add discard, mix just until incorporated.
4. Add tahini and vanilla extract, mix in gently.
5. Turn mixer on low (mix/speed 2). Add dry ingredients (step 1) in 3 batches, until all done. DO NOT OVERMIX – just mix until incorporated.
6. Take bowl off of standing mixer. Fold in coconut flakes and chocolate chips. Wrap and chill in refrigerator for at least 1 hour, or freeze for several days.
7. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 375F.
8. Shape cookies on baking sheet in 1 tbsp balls, spacing ~1.5-2 in apart.
9. Reduce oven heat to 350F. Bake for 11-13 min. If cookies did not spread much when they come out of the oven, immediately flatten tops with a fork.